Thursday, June 21, 2007

Raspberry, Nectarine and Mango Crumble

I served this on Tuesday night at the Southern Living at Home party that I hosted. It is my favorite summer dessert but I have to make it only when I have company around because no one else in the family will eat it with me! I found it in MS Living when I was in college. (I used to be quite a devoted fan of Martha but that has since dwindled, partly because of her stunt that landed her in jail and partly because I became a mother and realized how crazy it is to try to keep up with Martha. After all, she has assistants and people to boss around and make her beds and such. Though it sounds like her house and life looked like her magazines even before she had "people.") When my grandma was done reading her Living issues she would pass them along to me. She, grandma, was a very classy lady.

1 cup plus 1 1/2 Tbsp flour
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Salt
1/2 cup rolled oats
10 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
4 nectarines (about 1 3/4 pounds)
2 ripe mangoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1 pint raspberries
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 pints vanilla ice cream (optional)

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment in placce, combine 1 cup of flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and oats. Mix on low for 30 seconds, add butter, and mix until clumps form, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Peel and pit nectarines and cut into 1-inch chunks; place in a large bowl. Halve mangoes lengthwise, angling the knofe slightly to cut around the pit. Remove and discard pit and peel. Cut flesh into 1-inch chunks and add to nectarines; add raspberries. Add remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp four, granulated sugar, and lime juice; toss gently to combine.
3. Transfer fruit to a shallow 12-inch round gratin dish. Distribute topping evenly over fruit. Bake until toping is golden brown and juices bubble, about 50 minutes. Remove fromm oven and let cool slightly. Serve warm with ice cream.

(I don't own a 12-inch round gratin dish so I used a small rectangular dish. Doesn't look as pretty. I served mine with whipped cream this time so everyone could easily dish it themselves. Enjoy!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUM!I want to try this! Thanks for posting it! Its okay to be Martha every once in awhile, right?

Sally said...

I can't wait to try this. I have a great one for a caramel apple tart that has parmesan cheese in the crust. I should send it to you.