Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Whose Style?

In a fit of pregnancy frumpiness I ordered a subscription to In Style magazine as a birthday present for myself. I swore that I would birth the baby and then go on to be the most darling, fashionable mother of four ever. (Again, not fishing here, just talking.)

So my first issue comes a week before Sommer is born and I didn't really have time to look at it but I did rip out a few pages of things that I liked. I was so excited for the big September issue to plop into my mailbox and it didn't disappoint. It was huge and I did actually make it through the magazine and I dogeared some pages of looks that I wanted to copy. I wasn't about to go shopping because of baby weight to loose and not wanting to spend money on clothes I wouldn't wear long and also I still haven't felt the energy needed to devote to shopping after my days being a mom.

So most of my previous In Style reading has been at the gym which I have not frequented for about 9 months now, and I don't think flipping through it while doing the elliptical trainer really gives you a chance to look carefully at the prices of outfits that they put together. I finally got to the last page of the November issue today (it took me the entire month) but really, who in the world can afford to copy an In Style look from head to toe? No one in my world anyway. Or even if someone in my world of friends and family could afford to dress this way I think they would be too practical to do so. Take the "School Run" outfit that they put together: $1896. One outfit. And the most expensive item in the outfit is a pin for $695. What mom would run out of the house to take her kids to school wearing a pin like that? And wouldn't you feel like you had to keep track of your pin and your children?

How many kids do you have?
"I have 4, and a pin."

Or the darling "Book Club" ensemble for $3129? Seems to me that if you're dressing like that for book club then you are trying too hard to make up for not having read the book.

I know it is all about copying the look but shouldn't they create at least one outfit that all of us can afford? Like shop for everything at a regular mall? Makes me glad I'm not a shoes and bag person. I do like to have great shoes but these days I always wear the same two pairs because they are comfortable and easy to wear all day doing all the things that I do. I usually try to put on my cuter flats with my outfit when I first get dressed but then I start to walk out of the closet and I think, "I can't wear these all day" and I turn around and put my other shoes on. I have never felt the urge to spend insane amounts of money on a bag. I think Eric should be happy about that.

Just had to ramble.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN~! Every word of it.

Cammi said...

I laughed so hard when I read this, it brought me to tears! 4 kids and a pin?? That is classic....

Lauren said...

I loved your ramblings...so funny!

Paige said...

Thanks! I wasn't meaning to be funny as I was writing it but then when I reread it today I laughed too.

Anonymous said...

that is funny! And even I would not spend that much on an outfit...hee hee

K. Laura said...

I picked up a few copies of In Style after having Katelyn and found that all I ever got out of it were a few good recipes in the back. Not only are their outfits expensive, but they are not the right style for a modest mom of 3 kids, and I found myself being more and more upset that my post-baby body didn't look like the plastically altered body of the models they use. So I gave up on those fashion magazines, but have enjoyed the cooking Light magazine that you got me for my birthday last year!

Lark said...

So funny and true. I wear the same old comfy clothes too, but sometimes I try and put on a cute pair of shoes, only to change them just like you! I love the 4 kids and a pin comment - hilarious!