Saturday, September 15, 2012

Day 1

 I know, these photos could hardly be worse. But we didn't have much time. I was determined to walk to school and we needed to get going.
 Instead of back-to-school night, they did back-to-school morning this year at the kids' new school. They called off the teacher's names then all the kids in those classes would line up and head to the auditorium for an assembly. Sixth graders went first since they know their way around. Ridge just had to go get in line like he knew what he was doing. He was nervous but didn't talk about it, just hunched his shoulders and went. He's made friends though and now rides his bike to school with his buddies every morning.
 There goes Cannon. He's almost as tall as his teacher. He came out of school the first day looking happy and said that he thought he made some friends. The second day he had a panic attack as we were waiting for the bell to ring. He kept saying he was going to throw up and "please please let me go home I promise I'll go tomorrow." We went inside to find the bathroom, just in case, and he kept crying. It was very sad. Finally I told him that we'd go get a soda to calm his stomach then head back to school. He perked up on the walk home and was doing fine. When we got back to school he started crying again and I just had to get out of the car and walk toward the office. He followed me, making a huge sobbing racket. The principal came out and asked if she could help. We went into her office together and she made small talk with Cannon then said she'd ask the teacher to do some get-to-know-you games to help Cannon make friends. I gave Cannon a quick kiss and dashed out the door so she could walk him to class. He's doing okay now.
I'm in the stripes, helping Laine find the right line. It wasn't a bad way to do the first day of school but it was hard on my kids because they didn't have a chance to go into the school before the first day to meet the teacher and find their classrooms and the bathrooms. Then on the second day, no one knew the routine before school. Turns out, as Cannon put it, it's like in the movies where everyone just walks in, no lines. That took a few days of adjustment for everyone.

Sommer still isn't sure about this school thing. Some days are great and others are "bad." She wishes she still had her preschool schedule, three days on, two days off.

Massimo and I take a long time to walk home in the morning. Then before we know it, it's time to go get Sommer again.


mindy said...

That's an interesting way to do back to school. Do the parents stick around for the assembly to learn about each childs teacher and the requirements for the year? It seems like it would be harder for the parents that work to get to meet their kids teacher.
Glad to hear that Cannon is doing better. Good luck with the rest of the school year.

Lynne said...

I love this little family! Courage all! Come visit Grandma for a cookie break soon!

Lark said...

Love Laine's back to school outfit! So cute!