Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Rejection Letter #1: check

A few months ago I sent off my first query letter and few pages of my book manuscript to a literary agent. A couple of weeks ago I got my first rejection letter. Kind of a rite of passage for me, feels like I'm more officially a writer than just a wanna-be one.

It was actually a very kind rejection, not completely a form letter. I'm certain this was because I attended a writers conference at BYU two years ago and was guaranteed that my letter would get on a certain agent's desk for a read-through if I sent it to him within a year of the conference. So I did. And when I didn't hear back from him by the end of 6 weeks I knew that the rejection letter was coming, addressed in my own handwriting, a SASE being a requirement for submission. I was joking with my sister over the summer that I should have written a few words of encouragement to myself on the back of the envelope, "it's okay Paige! Try, try again!" But the agent's letter didn't at all make me feel like I should give up.
He said, "you definitely have a lot to work with, and I'm sure the story will be very exciting...Currently I am taking on very few new clients unless it is something I truly fall in love with. With that being said I hope someone will become enamored with your story and give it the time and attention it deserves."

And now to keep trying. Though I do need to polish my manuscript some more before I send it off to the wolves. I started writing this book a year ago for the NaNoWriMo challenge, something I've enjoyed doing for the past couple of years but that I knew I didn't have the stamina to get through this month. I've missed it, but I'm so brainless right now and often exhausted by the end of the week, I just had to let it go this year. Also, having done this twice, I have two manuscripts that I want to finish before I start another one. These characters are living in my head and I really like them so I want to finish their stories.

I'll have to keep a tally on the sidebar when I start sending out my work again, see how many rejection letters I accumulate before I can convince someone to work with me.

12 comments:

Tricia said...

I really admire what you are doing with your work Paige. I hope to read it someday!

Kimberly said...

I had no idea you could write. That's great! I bet someone out there will love your book and want to publish it. Don't give up. By the way, I would love to read your book someday.

Sally said...

Well, if your blog is any indication of how you write, I can't wait to read something! Where do you find the mental energy? Seriously, when I was pregnant with Ethan, I felt like I could barely get through my MBA classes. Then, having a kid and being pregnant made me feel like I was losing my mind. How you do it with four, and painting, and everything else, I will never know. You are an inspiration! Hang in there and keep it up. You have a great attitude about everything. Have you ever thought about self-publishing?

Unknown said...

Congrats, cuz, and welcome to the world of rejects! (jk). I got my first rejection about 7 years ago. It only took me 5 more years to get out of the funk, but it sounds like you are doing much better than me, lol. Good luck!

Kelsey K. Hartley said...

I'm proud of you for trying even once to send your creation out for review. That takes a lot of guts! And you know there's a saying, "No guts, No glory!"

Anonymous said...

Keep going Paige....finish their stories.

mindy said...

Wow Paige, I had no idea that you were a budding author. I think that is wonderful and I, like everyone else, can't wait to read your first novel. Your hard work will be worth it.

Ron and Shanon Sommer said...

How would it be to have characters developing in your brain, or music, or any other creative thing. If the idea is there, it will eventually emerge fully formed. The creative process is 90% in the mind.

Lark said...

Your stories are great...I can't wait to hear what happens with your characters too.

Shannon said...

Paige, you are growing/ nurturing children AND stories?!? You really are a wonder woman! Let me know when you get published (because I have no doubt it will happen.) I want an autographed copy! :)

Paige said...

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone! Like I said, I'm kind of braindead right now so this little post has been a great help to keep going, even slowly.

Unknown said...

Ah yes. Rejection letters. I've had quite a few. Then....oh then comes the one you've been waiting for.

Hang in there. I've heard great stories about best selling authors who got rejection after rejection. Remember....don't stop trying!!

I've love to read your stories if you ever want to share :)