Tuesday, December 01, 2009

10 year recipe search ends

10 years ago, our first married Thanksgiving, we drove to Arizona to be with Eric's extended family, particularly his grandma Blaser whose health had been declining. Grandma Blaser died that following summer. Wasn't she a lovely lady?

Well, she was also a great cook and that Thanksgiving I got to taste her sweet potatoes and I've been searching for the recipe ever since. Turns out I just didn't ask the right person. We headed to Spokane this year for the holiday and our hostess, Eric's cousin (and family), prepared Grandma Blaser's Sweet Potatoes! It was the highlight of my meal I went back for seconds, dipped a spoonful in for thirds, and I wanted to eat them for breakfast the next morning.

Grandma Blaser's Sweet Potatoes
3 cups mashed yams or sweet potatoes
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbs butter

Topping:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup flour
1 cup pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix yams, sugar, salt, vanilla, eggs, milk and butter until smooth. Spread evenly in a 9x13 inch pan. Mix together brown sugar, butter, flour and pecans for the topping. Sprinkle over yams. Bake uncovered for one hour.

5 comments:

Heidi Davies said...

That's the recipe that Ruth's Chris Steakhouse serves. My Mom made it this year. It is scrumptious. I've never gone back for seconds for sweet potatoes, but I did this year.

Shannon said...

What a treasure! It sounds delicious.

kentandnellie said...

Yum. I'm going to have to make these. Glad you found the recipe!

Lynne said...

What a sweet posting, Paige. I remember how much Grandma loved to serve this recipe. I better try it one of these times, too. Tori would be a good source, I'm sure! I'm glad you were there together and had such a nice time. Love you!

Kelsey K. Hartley said...

Butter and sugar make everything more delicious, don't they? I'm so glad you found the recipe. Now it can be past on to your kids.