Cannon was the only child who embraced the sewing project and actually learned how to sew, kind of. Eric had an extremely busy week and was gone every night but Friday. I set up to cut and sew a few pj bottoms with the kids on Monday night. Not easy to do on my own. Ridge and Cannon both cut out a pair. The scissors were too hard for Laine to maneuver and she lost interest in everything and ended up playing with her pink felt scraps. Sommer was in the tub for part of the process which was fine but just made one more thing to juggle. I finally got around to helping Cannon sew the pants together but the girls were ready for some chocolate milk. I asked Ridge to help since I knew the milk gallon was half empty. Of course Sommer ended up spilling her very full cup so Cannon waited even longer. I turned on Dora for Sommer, Laine played in her room, Ridge went to the computer and Cannon stuck with me. I directed the fabric and he pushed the sewing foot. I was still distracted though and ended up making a weird looking skirt instead of pants so I had some seam ripping to do later in the evening.
The next day Cannon was ready to sew again. I gave him some scraps and he spent a long time running fabric through the machine again and again and again.
One out of four learned something. Not too shabby.
The PJ for Russian Orphans project is a few days away. I think we'll make 50-70 pj bottoms. I think. I'm not good at estimating and figuring out fabric. The thing I'm most nervous about right now is making sure that there are jobs enough for all the ladies who show up to help that night. There will be several stations set up for sewers and non-sewers, and treats -- Russian recipes shared by ladies from Russia who are in our ward. It will all come together...