Tuesday, September 30, 2008

gained 5 lbs in Hawaii

First food stop of the trip and it was so yummy. I ate one of the original "5 napkin cheeseburgers" all by myself. It was drippy with secret sauce, piled with grilled onions and fixings and the bun was toasted Hawaiian bread. Worth every penny. I washed it down with a strawberry/Oreo smoothie, recommended by our server, that was surprisingly good. We went back again but I shared mini-burgers with the gals (I ate 2 of the 4).
This is Floyd, yes Floyd and that really is his name. He was our server and guacamole maker at Senor Frogs. What a crazy fun spot, and we were there on a slow night. We left with balloon hats, some guy has a job making balloon hats, what a life, and 3 of the 4 of us had been dragged up to dance with the servers and other guests at various points in the evening. I'll post that video later...
Best shave ice on the island from Matsumoto's grocery store. Ice cream on the bottom, soft and melty shave ice piled on top of that with yummy tropical syrups poured into the ice and then for 50 cents extra, I requested the sweetened condensed milk drizzled over the top as per my friend Torrie's recommendation. It was over the top delicious. Worth the drive to the North Shore.
Also recommended by Torrie, a stop at Puka Dog, a hot dog in a pocket bun that is filled with the most delicious toppings and again, another toasted Hawaiian bun. That was a fun hole in the wall place to eat at though it did give me heart burn. How can I ever eat a regular hot dog again?
My luau feast, my first plate anyway. I went back for seconds of the fried fish and to try the bbque meat since I ate the Kalua pork the first time around, more pinapple coleslaw and a piece of coconut cake. More on the luau later...

Those were the things I took pictures of anyway. How I love eating food that has been prepared for me, vacation from kitchen duties was just so lovely.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my Paige, I think I gained 10 lbs. everything was so yummy.

I know, everyone wondering what was for dinner tonight was such a let down to telling your server what you want!

kelly said...

i LOVE my mini burgers!
seriously, i don't know if i should thank torrie or throttle her for the 5 pounds i also gained!
hee hee!
no, it was totally worth it!

kelly said...

i miss floyd...

Torrie said...

you all can stand to gain a few lbs! now hush!
i would have gained a few myself if it hadn't been for the morning sickness kicking in 4 days into my trip...
i'm flattered that you you all listened to my foodie advice and hit all the good spots, aren't those shave ice to die for! there just isn't anything like it on the 'main land'
and can i guess that it was probably ..kelly who didn't get dragged to the dance floor?
and i have to add that eating every meal out for days in a row, with no one saying "eeewww" at your food IS the best part of vacation for me! so glad to see your post and look forward to hearing all about it! maybe we all should get together so i can hear all your fun stories!

kelly said...

how did you guess torrie?!

kentandnellie said...

That Cheeseburger in Paradise place is so good! Kent and I ate there on our honeymoon and really enjoyed it. Looks like you had a great time in Hawaii.

-::bee::- said...

I'm glad you went up to Matsumoto's! J's dad took us there when we went - he said it was the best on the island. We went there twice in 2 days!

Shannon said...

I agree...Matsumoto's does have the best shave ice! It looks like you guys had a delicious time :)

K. Laura said...

your HI posts are making me want to go there even more than ever!