Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Backyard Visitor

This guy was in one of our trees yesterday afternoon. We usually don't see the raccoons of the neighborhood, just witness their tracks later on since they prowl around at night. We think that they are the ones who will destroy rubber toys in the backyard on occasion. I saw an entire family wander across our yard one morning; I was looking out the window quite early in the day. The boys found this fellow and were pretty excited about him. He seemed nervous about the attention until I brought out my camera then it seemed like he was trying to get a better look and scrambled a bit closer.

When I was growing up we had lizards in our backyard as visitors. Quite the different creature from squirrels and raccoons. And we never had moss growing on our trees. It is amazingly green here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know those little guys are much more destructive then cute but I sure like watching them! I try to keep in mind that they would be foraging in the forest if it was still there but we built our houses on top of their home..So anyway- fun picture!

Torrie said...

we had a family of racoons in 'our' trees in the back- but they tormented the dogs sooo much the dogs would just bark and howl, so john got the hose and shot them with water but they didn't mind. then he got the air hose and they didn't like that one bit! haven't seen them since! glad to say because i was getting really tired of them eating my cats!

kelly said...

yikes, years ago we had them strolling across our decks during the daytime.
scary with little ones around.

Shannon said...

It was probably the same family of racoons that visited our yard back at Christmas. I had placed literally dozens of cookies in tins on my upper back deck because I ran out of room in the fridge...we heard a huge crash outside our family room door, to find a family of 4 racoons eating all my cookies!!!!! Big mistake, never put food outside, they can smell it for miles. (They are cute though)

Lark said...

That is crazy to see racoons in your yard. I was just looking at our lizards today.